16 March 2020
Information release to Clubs and Association members re COVID-19 containment and compliance measures
We have been waiting on an updated directive from Netball NSW today but as at 4pm we have not received any updates. Gosford Netball Association will be postponing the first two weeks of 2020 Winter Competition. This is also based upon the rulings of the Federal and State Governments to ban all non-essential gatherings of over 500 people.
Given the significant concerns around the spread of COVID-19, we simply cannot allow such large gatherings of members and families as we see each Saturday during each time slot at netball. With 27 courts and approximately 10 members per team would have us seeing around 540 players, umpires, coaches & managers on the courts each time slot without including family members and the crossover of games as players come and go.
- This decision will be reviewed on 20 April 2020, with an announcement made by 5:00pm that day.
- If ONLY two weeks of play are missed, they will be made up at a later time during the season, at a time and day to be decided by Council, upon commencement of the Competition at the next 2020 Council meeting.
- The GNA Council meeting scheduled for this Wednesday night 18th March 2020 will be POSTPONED and RESCHEDULED to be held Wednesday 29 April 2020 at 7:00pm for 7.15pm start unless further advice is issued regarding the corona virus. This is the Wednesday prior to the first NEW SCHEDULED week of play which will be Saturday 2nd May 2020, unless there is further extension to the delayed start of the Competition.
- If a longer timeframe is needed to start our 2020 competition ensuring the health and safety of our members, as well as to comply with NNSW and Government directives, we may just play one full round for 8 team grades and 1 or 2 rounds for 6 team grades. In order to achieve this the earliest this would need to commence is 23 May 2020.
- The latest we could start the season without playing double up games or timetabling some games for Sundays is Week 8, 13 June 2020.
- These timings are very important if we are to continue to run the competition according to GNA Competition Policy.
- Representative teams will be receiving further information from GNA in a separate email once updated information comes to hand from NSW netball.
- If play is delayed by more than 2 rounds and additional rounds are unable to be played the GNA executive will investigate refunding a pro-rata portion of the GNA fees levy paid back to clubs for them to refund the members. GNA is not able to refund the NNSW portion of fees paid but will pass on all information from NNSW regarding this as it is received by us and will support Club’s applications to NNSW to have these fees refunded. Netball Australia has made a statement that members should not be disadvantaged financially from the COVID-19 virus. A decision on the reimbursement of fees will not be made until when the June executive meeting is held on Monday 1 June 2020 where the reimbursement of fees will be placed on the agenda for discussion.
- Finally, before contacting the GNA executive, please contact your club secretary. Follow your club’s Facebook page, the GNA website or GNA social media pages including Facebook and Instagram for any further updates. We will update Club Secretaries and Presidents as information comes to hand.
This decision has had to be made and we emphasise it’s in the interest of public safety after more cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in NSW. We sincerely appreciate your support and understanding during this very challenging time.
Gosford Netball Association
(on behalf on the GNA executive)